Give the Gift of Life, Give Blood
St. Martin’s semi-annual Blood Drive is scheduled for Tuesday, April 30, 2:30 – 6:30 p.m.
Help make a difference in someone’s life through blood donation!
- On any given day, an average of 38,000 units of red blood cells are needed for hospital patients in the United States.
- In the United States someone needs a blood transfusion about every 2 seconds.
- There is no substitute for human blood. It cannot be manufactured.
- People in car accidents who suffer massive blood loss may require transfusions of more than 50 pints of red blood cells.
- To donate blood a person must be 17 years of age or older, weigh at least 110 pounds and be in generally good health. There is no upper age limit. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids, eat at regular meal times and eat foods rich in iron. Do not drink tea for 3 days before donating, it dilutes the iron in your blood.
- A person who donates blood gives the gift of life to another human being.
To sign up online, click here, then type “stmartins” in the code box.