April Vestry Meeting Recap
The Vestry met for its regular meeting on April 22. Here’s a brief recap of what we covered:
- We have been reading a book called “The Vestry Resource Guide” under Father Al’s direction. We discussed the first two chapters of the guide, which cover the mission and ministry of the Vestry.
- We approved depositing the surplus monies raised for the Howard Park funeral reception into the Legacy Endowment fund. At the time, that amount equaled just over $800, and more money has come in since then.
- We discussed a recent application for a grant from the Diocese Church Assistance Endowment Fund for repairing our handicap ramp in the front of the church. Lincoln Drake submitted the grant application to the diocese on April 20, and we expect to hear back on their decision in June. If approved, the grant would cover 50% of the total cost. To get the project started, the Vestry approved a down payment of roughly $1000, to be paid out of the Facilities budget.
- Also in the area of Facilities, we approved increasing the font size on our sign on Clayton road from 3-inch letters to 6-inch letters, in order to boost the visibility of our messaging. This will be done at a cost of $900 and also paid out of the Facilities budget.
- Father Al shared a call for proposals from the Diocese for New Ventures in Community Ministries grants. Grants are available up to $25,000, and they are intended to support new ministries and new aspects of existing programs. Initial abstracts are due June 15. Do you have an idea that you would like to submit? See one of us on the Vestry to learn more.
- We approved the March minutes and March financials.
- We spent a good deal of time discussing the search process and where we are with candidates. At the time of our meeting, we had completed initial Skype or FaceTime interviews with all but one candidate. We discussed and debriefed interviews on every candidate, and we made decisions on whom we wanted to bring to the next step in the process, which involves in-person visits. Our search continues to go well, and we remain on target to call our new Priest in early to mid-summer.
Thank you all for your prayers and support for our Vestry ministry. If you have any questions, please see any of the Vestry members.